Permitting Process

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Do I need a permit and if so, what is the process?

Whether you are a homeowner or a licensed contractor who wishes to construct or develop within the City of Kissimmee, a permit is often required prior to starting work on your proposed project and can be completed in 5 to 7 simple steps.

The Building Division operates under the current Florida Building Codes as adopted by the State of Florida requirements of Chapter 553, Florida Statutes which can be accessed online at 

Please Note:  These steps do not include any review required for site plan or use approval, which is often necessary to complete prior to building construction.  To learn more about these processes, please review the Planning & Zoning Division webpages.

The Building Division is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday, excluding holidays.  Our offices are located on the first floor of City Hall, at 101 Church Street, Suite 120, Kissimmee, FL 34741.  For more information about how the Building Division can help you or your business, please stop by our offices or call us at 407.518.2120.

Return to the Top of Page

Step 1: Is a permit required?

Whether you are a homeowner or a licensed contractor who wishes to construct or develop within the City of Kissimmee, a permit is often required prior to starting work on your proposed project.  

Step 1 of the process:  Please review below to see if you need a permit?

Projects that DO NOT require a permit

  • Air Conditioning Window Unit:  Unit in existing opening with existing electrical
  • Appliance Replacement:  Excluding hot water heater
  • Bath Tub - Condominiums & Apartments:  Permit needed for 2nd floor and above 
  • Bath Tub - Single Family & Duplex:  Replace in existing location
  • Cabinets - Replace existing
  • Carpeting
  • Doors - Replace interior only
  • Driveway - Reseal existing on-site asphalt for single family/duplex - no striping (any work within the right-of-way requires Public Works & Engineering approval)
  • Drywall - Wall repair less than 4 ft x 8 ft
  • Electrical - Replacing existing light fixtures, fans, outlets, switch or cover plates with a similar approved product
  • Fence - Repair/replace for previously permitted fence up to 16 ft (excluding pool barriers)
  • Gutters - Residential only
  • Painting
  • Plumbing - Stopping leaks, clearing drain stoppages, and replacing faucets provided such work does not involve or require the replacement /rearrangement of valves or pipes
  • Screen Room - Replace screening only
  • Siding - Repair area up to 32 sq. ft.
  • Sink or Faucet - Replace existing using existing supply and drainage
  • Soffit or Fascia - Repair/replace up to 10 ft. (not including structural members)
  • Stucco - Repair finish up to 32 sq. ft. 
  • Water Closet - Replace in existing location
  • Window Glazing - Replace if less than $200
  • Window Repair - Repair if less than $200
  • Wood Deck - Repair up to 20 sq. ft.
  • Typically, any minor non-structural repair less than $750

If a permit is not required, you may proceed with your project. Otherwise if a permit is required, please proceed to Step 2. 

Step 2: What type of permit do I need?

Select from the list below for the type of project you are requesting:

  • New Commercial - Construction of any new commercial structure, modular or shell, and parking garage including all required plumbing, mechanical and electrical sub-permits. 
  • New Multi-Family Residential - Construction of apartment (condominium) or triplex that has three or more family dwellings with all the required plumbing, mechanical and electrical sub-permits. 
  • New Single Family Residential - Construction of a new single family dwelling unit, a townhouse or model with all the required plumbing, mechanical and electrical sub-permits. 
  • Miscellaneous Accessory Structure - Application to be used for:
    • Addition.  Construction of an addition to an existing building.
    • Awning.  Installation of a canvas or other material type stretched on a frame and used to keep the sun or run off from a storefront, window, doorway, or deck.
    • Change of Occupancy.  To allow a new use within an existing space such as a use permit or alteration.
    • Charity Drop Box/Recycling Collection Container.  Installation of an unmanned container that serves as incidental use for neighborhood drop-off point for temporary storage of charitable items.
    • Demolition-Entire or Partial & Relocation.
      • Entire.  Demolition of an entire building that includes clearing the site.
      • Partial.  Demolition of only a portion of a building.
      • Relocation.  Movement of an existing building to an alternate location.
    • Dumpster/Trash Enclosure.  Construction of an enclosure around a dumpster or trash can(s).
    • Screen Room/Enclosure.  Construction of a screen room or porch enclosure that has a hard pan roof or open aired.
    • Exterior Structure Alteration-Siding-Doors-Windows.  Minor construction work done on the exterior of a structure, such as the installation of siding (aluminum, wood, soffit or stucco); exterior door(s) and window(s).
    • Fences & Walls.  Construction of a PVC, wood, aluminum, masonry, vinyl coated chain link or any other type of ornamental fence or wall.
    • Foundation.  Early construction of a building foundation prior to the release of a permit.
    • Handicapped Ramp.  Construction of an exterior handicapped ramp leading to the building entrance.
    • Interior Alteration/Build Out.
      • Alteration.  The interior alteration of an existing building such as changing walls.  This includes demolition required for the repair.
      • Build out.  The interior build out of an existing shelled building.
    • Pool/Hot Tub/Jacuzzi/Spa.  Construction of a pool, hot tub, Jacuzzi, or spa.
    • Roof-New Roof-Re-Roof-Roof Over.
      • New Roof.  Installation including truss, paneling, felt or shingles for new structures.
      • Re-Roof.  Repair or tear off of existing roofs.
      • Roof Over.  Installation of a roof over existing material.
    • Shed/Garage/Car Port.  Construction of a detached shed or garage that is prefabricated or built on site.
    • Shutters.  Installation of solid or louvered moveable cover for window and door.
    • Signage.
      • Permanent signs.  Installation of ground signs (monument, way-finding, on-site directional and flag poles) and building signs (wall, projecting, under canopy, awning, directory, building identification, window and instructional).
      • Temporary signs.  Displayed for a limited time such as banners, feather banners, cold air balloons, future occupant, model home, mobile trailer, non-profit off site directional and human signs.
    • Slab With/Without Footer.  Construction of a flat concrete plate with supports of reinforced rebar poured into an excavated trench that is used typically for floors or those that do not support a structure.
    • Solar Panel.  Installation of panels and its components used to generate electricity.
    • Above/Underground Tank.  Installation of an above ground or underground tank typically used for gas or other chemical components.
    • Tent.  Installation of a temporary tent larger than 10ft x 10ft in size typically used for special occasions.
    • Communication Tower.  Construction of alteration of a tower and/or electrical cabinets used for communication devices.
    • Construction/Sales Trailer.  Installation of a temporary trailer used during construction or as a sales trailer.
  • Mechanical - Installation of any mechanical equipment such as air conditioner installation (HVAC - heating, ventilation & air conditioning) or change out, hood, heating, walk-in cooler, duct work, and refrigeration, and when work is not done in conjunction with a new structure or building addition. 
  • Electrical - Installation of any new electrical wiring, meters or fixtures when work is not done in conjunction with a new structure.  Electrical improvements such as addition, alteration, new service, repair, general electric, electrical meter/panel change out, low-voltage, and t-pole to any commercial, multi-family dwelling unit and single family dwelling unit.  Types include elevators, exhaust fans, fixtures and outlets, floodlights over 30 amps, rated heat appliances, motors and generators, neon transformers and tubing, panel service, power transformers, ranges and ovens, refrigerator display cases, sign outlets, sub panel and meter, time clocks, washers, dryers, disposals, window HVAC outlet, x-ray and dental units. 
  • Plumbing  - Plumbing improvements such as addition, alteration, new service, repair, general plumbing, gas, irrigation, and grease trap to any commercial, multi-family dwelling unit and single family dwelling unit.  Types include adding/replacing sewer drain and water lines; fixtures such as water heater, heat pump, sink, tubs; gas outlets and appliances served; hose bibs; irrigation heads; vacuum breakers and backflow devices. 
  • Site Development & Tree Removal - Used for the debrushing and tree removal when not done in conjunction with a site construction project; the debrushing, grading, excavating filing and installation of utilities of land after site construction plans have been approved; the early preparation of debrushing, grading, excavating and filing only on special occasions prior to site construction approval; or request to remove a tree. 
  • Fire Protection- Installation of sprinklers, fire suppression system(s), alarm(s), smoke detector(s), underground fire main(s) and issuance of burn permit(s).
  • Master File - For projects where multiple buildings of the same type are to be built.
Step 3: How do I submit?

The City of Kissimmee Building Division is pleased to announce the unveiling of our new electronic building application program called ePermits.  This web-based program will transform our paper based building permit application process into an electronic/paperless process.  ePermits will increase review efficiency, allowing for reviews to be completed faster; reduce costs for both the City and its customers; and support green initiatives by eliminating the need to print and submit paper plans.

When an applicant (architect, engineer, home owner, business owner or agent) submits a building permit application requiring drawings and review fees, ePermits will invite the applicant's architect and/or agent by e-mail to upload the electronic drawings and all relevant documents into the ePermits software.  At this time to insure that all documents have been properly received, City review staff will then have simultaneous access to review the plans and note any corrections directly on the plans.  The applicant is notified of the necessary revisions and will be instructed to upload the corrected plans electronically.  When the plans are have been stamped for approval and all fees are paid, a permit is issued.  After final notice the applicant will be notified that the approved stamped plans may be downloaded.  The plans can then be printed by the applicant and must be on the job site used for construction of the project with subsequent inspections to follow.

ePermits Org Review Process

To get started, please review the ePermits Applicant User's Guide to obtain a basic step-by-step overview of the process or to review Frequently Asked Questions.  For assistance, please e-mail us at or contact us at 407.518.2118.

All applications and review fees by one of the following ways:

  • In Person:  City Hall – Building Division, Suite 120, between the hours of 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday - Friday
  • By Mail:  City of Kissimmee City Hall, 101 Church Street, Suite 120 Building Division, Kissimmee, FL  34741
  • By Email: Once received, a technician will contact the applicant for credit card payment prior to processing the application.
Step 4 & 5: Staff Review & Construction

Once the application and plans have been submitted, City and other agencies will review the proposed request for compliance with City and State standards and will offer any applicable comments.

Once approved, a permit is issued and construction can start.

For clarification of your individual circumstances or general questions, please contact the Building Division at 407.518.2120 or

Step 6: What type of Inspection do I need?

To ensure that all work meets the current building codes, the Building Division is responsible for performing inspections for all permitted construction work performed in the City of Kissimmee.  Inspections are made daily and are divided into specific phases (Foundation, Slab/Floor Framing, Lintel/Team Beam, Framing, Insulation, Final) to assure all of the work gets inspected before it is covered up.  These phases do not apply to storm water, transportation, landscaping and fire inspections.  These inspections are conducted by other departments or during the final inspection at the end of the construction.

If the construction site is not ready for inspections or there are excessive code violations discovered during the inspection, a Notice of Violation may be issued and a re-inspection fee will be charged.

The following is a list of project types that require inspection:

Note: Additional inspections may be required depending on the type of construction. Failure to call for a required inspection could result in fines.

Inspections are performed between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday - Friday, excluding holidays. To schedule an inspection please contact the Automated Inspection Response System at 407.518.2597. This interactive voice response system will also allow callers to inquire about or cancel an upcoming inspection. To obtain a next day inspection, requests must be made by 3:30 p.m. the day before. 

If you are unsure of the inspection requirement necessary for your project, please call 407.518.2379 or stop by the offices located in Suite 120 of Kissimmee City Hall. 

Inspection Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  Am I required to have an inspection?

All permitted work is required to have approved inspections.  If a contractor is hired and his/her work is not inspected, it may be considered job abandonment and can be reported to the state.  If you have pulled your own permit as a property owner and do not have your work pass inspection you may have problems with property values or future sale of your property.

Q.  Do I need to be on site for my inspection?

No.  It is not required unless access is needed.  Please be sure that all approved plans and permits are on site and accessible to the inspector.

Q.  Who do I call for inspection?

  • For driveways, sidewalks, drainage and road improvements - Public Works & Engineering 407.518.2169
  • For building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical inspections - Building Division 407.518.2579
  • For fire alarm, fire sprinklers, and fire suppression systems - Fire Department 407.518.2202
  • For water and sewer - Toho Water Authority 407.944-5020

Q.  Can I request a specific inspector?

No.  Inspectors are assigned to various inspections according to workload requirements and licensing with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.  All jobs are inspected according to the approved plans and current building code.

Q.  What time will my inspector arrive?

Workloads vary from day to day.  We make every effort to perform the inspection on the day and time it is requested.  Inspections are usually performed between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday - Friday, excluding holidays.  If you need to speak to the inspector scheduled to perform your inspection, please call the office at 407.518.2130.  Since our inspectors are often in the field please leave a message on their voice mail and they will promptly return your call.

Q.  Do I have to pay a fee for an inspection?

No, inspections are part of your permit and do not require an additional fee.  You are only required to pay for any failed or missed inspection before scheduling another inspection.

Q.  Why did my inspection fail?

There could be multiple reasons.  For specifics, please consult your inspection results that was left on the job site in your permit box or attached to your permit card.  If you would like to confer with your inspector regarding the failure, please feel free to contact them at 407.518.2130.  Since our officers are often in the field please leave a message on their voice mail and they will promptly return your call.

Q.  Can inspections be held after hours?

Yes.  All after hour inspections must be submitted in writing, addressed to the Building Official.  Weekend and holiday inspections are charged with a 4 (four) hour minimum.  Rates for these inspections are based on the most current resolution for building fees adopted by the City Commission.

Step 7: Certificate of Occupancy

Once building construction for your property has been completed and a final building inspection has been performed by a city Building Inspector, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued for your building. This allows you to legally occupy the building.  Listed below are the required items necessary to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy:

  • Completed sub-contractors list 
  • All applicable permits must be on record, completed and finalized
  • All outstanding mobility/impact fees must be paid in full 
  • Termite treatment certificate (will be collected by the Building Inspector at the time of Final Inspection) 
  • Insulation certificate (will be collected by the Building Inspector at the time of Final Inspection) 
  • Hot check letter from the electrical contractor (will be collected by the Building Inspector at the time of Final Inspection) 
  • Completed sub-contractors list (will be collected by the Building Inspector at the time of Final Inspection) 
  • Final survey indicating all improvements to the property and finish floor elevation, including an elevation certificate for all projects constructed within a Flood Zone (will be collected by the Building Inspector at the time of Final Inspection) 

If you intend to use your building for commercial activity or plan to rent a short term rental home, please be sure to visit our License webpage to review all of the necessary requirements you must obtain prior to starting any work.